We are seeking an experienced Senior VAT Consultant to join our award winning and growing Business Tax team, where you will be working in a positive and fulfilling culture.
As part of a team of 11, plus a dedicated PA, the successful candidate will be leading and developing our Indirect Tax Practice alongside an experienced Manager.
Whilst our team is based in 2 office locations, we work flexibly across our client base to deliver a service in the most effective way and ensure we maximise variety of client work and knowledge sharing.
This position offers the freedom to manage your own day, lead client relationships, and represent G+E in the market. You will also be able to make strategic team decisions in collaboration with the partner and director in the team.
Senior VAT Consultant main duties include:
- A mixture of winning work, reviewing and managing projects and dealing with ad hoc queries. We are also really keen for our senior team to be active in Business Development, which varies from supporting competitive proposals, interactions with intermediaries and meeting potential new clients with the wider G+E firm.
- Driving the firm’s Indirect Tax presence within the local market and internally alongside the existing team.
- Responsibility for team delivery of key financial budgets and KPIs and taking steps to address issues.
- Lead the delivery on a large number of VAT advisory projects.
- Provide technical support to the team, as needed, on client projects and sign out more complex advice.
- Input into the future growth strategy of the team including brand and profile, identifying skills gaps, finding new opportunities to win work, focus on your specialist team and how this will be developed.
- Driving the development of quality deliverables and marketing materials for the team.
- Considers risk management aspects of all our work including financial, ethical and reputational risks.
- Encourages and enforces compliance with on-job firm policies and procedures.
Core technical skills include:
- Leading a number of projects for clients and liaising with the wider G+E team on a wide variety of VAT advisory opportunities. There will be an expectation that you have a detailed technical knowledge of a number of key areas and sectors including dealing with HMRC disputes. G+E’s client base is predominantly owner managed across a wide variety of sectors with a strong presence in property & construction, digital and tech and manufacturing.
- Confidence in dealing with ambiguity is essential – you will be asked to advise on a wide range of commercial transactions on which you may have limited technical experience and will need to use the resources available (legislation, Croner-I, wider team, other firms as needed) to come to an appropriate conclusion.
- As new tax legislation is introduced you will be expected to ‘upskill’ yourself on this as and when is appropriate and take responsibility for developing the knowledge of others and identifying market opportunities for G+E.
- We have a great team with a wide breadth and depth of experience. You will be expected to be enthusiastic about training the other members of the team and sharing your knowledge. We are passionate about making them superb advisors.
- CTA or ACA qualified
- OMB advisory experience is essential