Only 70,000 -80,000 of the 1 million plus businesses effected by Making Tax Digital have signed up with HMRC for MTD submissions
Having an MTD filing solution does not mean you are MTD for VAT ready. You MUST sign up with HMRC and ensure your software is switched on for MTD submissions.
The timing of sign up is critical, as soon as you register, you will be required to start submitting MTD compliant returns. It is recommended that you do not sign up until you have submitted your final non-MTD return.
If you do NOT pay VAT by direct debit
- Allow at least 24 hours after your last non-MTD VAT return submission.
- Sign up through the HMRC website, all you need is your existing Government Gateway log in
- HMRC will confirm that registration has been successful within 24 to 72 hours via email
- Do not attempt to submit an MTD VAT return until you have received the confirmation
- The final step is to enter your Government Gateway details into your compliant software
- For additional guidance follow the relevant link for your business:
- Xero: https://central.xero.com/s/article/Switch-to-our-new-VAT-return-for-MTD
- Sage: https://ask.sage.co.uk/scripts/ask.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=41885
- Quickbooks: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Making-Tax-Digital/Authorise-QuickBooks-to-interact-with-HMRC-MTD-for-small/m-p/247748
If you DO pay VAT by direct debit
- There is a more restricted sign up period
- You cannot sign up within the 5 working days after the deadline for your last submission
- You must sign up at least 7 working days before the filing date of your first MTD VAT return
If you are unsure when and how to sign up, please contact one of the G+E MTD team who will be happy to help. Call Jackie Senior on 01904 464116 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Aaron Sutton on 01904 464220 or email email@example.com